Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Oh No - Not Tires

Discussion in 'Cal 1400 8V' started by abbienormal, Jun 4, 2014.

1. sir fred

sir fred Cruisin' Guzzisti

I use Dynabeads for balancing. Been using them for five years on my Honda ST1300, my Ducati Diavel and now the Cali.

2. roadventure

roadventure High Miler GT Famiglia

They're good stuff. I don't have them in the California wheels now, but have used them on four other bikes all with great success.

3. Guzzinista

Guzzinista Just got it firing!

has anyone experimented with 180s instead of the 200 rear tire on the 1400?

anyone want to speculate about how it would impact handling -- a 180/65-16 would leave the speedo within 1-2 percent of factory size 200 tire

specifically, would it make 1400 more nimble? impact stability, gas mileage?

4. caliman

caliman Tuned and Synch'ed

Plenty of examples here says that the handling improves greatly but I just like the tyre big (as well as how it left the factory) not sure if it would affect insurance.

5. stephenm

stephenm Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

I fitted a Dunlop D407 180/65 3,000km ago, having worn out the original Dunlop D251 in 6,000km, followed by a Bridgestone Exedra in 7,000km. The new tyre is stamped 'Harley Davidson' and is multi-compound. On the 6.00" rim, the profile is clearly flatter than it was with the 200/60 tyres. I was conscious that the tyre change might affect the bike, but I haven't really noticed much difference.

I have 2,000km of riding in the mountains, hundreds of corners of every shape and size, on this tyre, and I can't fault it. I loved the handling on the original tyres, and I love the handling on this 180/65. I have only been on dry roads so far, so I can't comment on wet road grip. Stability is fine. Milage was unchanged. The wear rate is very low so far.

Stephen

6. bobw

bobw Cruisin' Guzzisti

7. Smartleynz

Smartleynz Tuned and Synch'ed

8. Perk5560

Perk5560 Tuned and Synch'ed

I'd be curious to see what the back of the bike looked like with a 180 on it. I like that the handling seems to improve but I still do like the look of the big tire. Can't have it both ways I guess.

9. mikeaedmonds

mikeaedmonds Cruisin' Guzzisti

At 14k KMs time to change the original Dunlops. Got a decent price on Bridgestone Exedra Max Radial, 300 CAD for both. Hope I get another 14k.

10. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

That's gotta be close to a record for the Dunlops. If you're that gentle on tyres you get more on the Exedras. I've got 12k on my Bridgestone Battleaxe 020, and I'm hoping for another 2-3k.

mikeaedmonds and abbienormal like this.
  11. Smartleynz

I will try and get a photo for you.

12. MJPTexas

MJPTexas Cruisin' Guzzisti

I put stock sized Avon Cobras on mine when I did the last change. The Avons handle very nicely.

sir fred likes this.
  13. Perk5560

I just noticed in the 2016 MG Eldorado ad it states that the rear tire on it is a 180. Being basically the same bike other than the rims I'd say we might be good to go with the 180.

14. GT-Rx®

GT-Rx® Administrator Staff Member GT di Razza Pura

Incorrect in that the rims sizes are different. Both narrower 16" rims, front and rear:
    3.50” x 16” - 130/90 R16ʼʼ
    5.50” x 16” - 180/65 R16ʼʼ

15. Perk5560

Sorry for my lack of specificity. I was focused on the 180 tire width which is less than the 200. I suppose to be fair we would also have to look at rim size too to evaluate performance.

16. GT-Rx®

I missed your rim comment in the first post, but yes, rim size is as important. That said, I have already mounted and recommend the 180/65 in the 6.0" Cal Custom/Tour/Audace rear rim.

17. Perk5560

I know someone else also mentioned their concern with the look of the 180 from the rear as compared to the 200 and having seen both on the bike, do you see a marked difference in the look of the bike from the rear?

Thanks,

Dave

18. GT-Rx®

Yes, the steam-roller look is gone, leaving a good looking, ever so slightly narrower 20mm/.77" tire.

19. Smartleynz

Haven't done the photo yet but I agree with Todd in that the look is very much the same, really hard to notice the bit of width missing, handling vs looks? Highway load carrying maybe the 200 is best, tighter NZ type roads 180 seems best, I gained 1.9% circumference and also 5% sidewall, but haven't noticed any distortion going on. Will do pic.

20. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Not doubting your experiences, but I'm assuming correctly the better handling is due to the 5% sidewall increase allowing a slightly better lean angle? Or is it something I've missed?

I'm contemplating doing the same as you.