Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - You’ve landed at the ultimate Guzzi site. In SoCal? See the SERVICE tab above for the best in service, tires, tuning and installation of our products or custom work. NEW FORUM REGISTRATIONS REQUIRE EMAIL ACTIVATION - CHECK YOUR SPAM FOLDER - Use the CONTACT above if we can be of help. ALWAYS TRY A SEARCH BEFORE STARTING A NEW TOPIC - Most questions you may have are already answered on the Forum with FACTS, NOT OPINIONS. PLEASE DON'T BE A DRIVE-BY POSTER: As a common courtesy, check back if you are posting elsewhere on the web. Note there's decades of Guzzi hands-on experienced help on this site, all whom give endless amounts of their time for free; BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! Also be sure to click on the STORE link also above for our 600+ product inventory, including many of our 100% Made-in-house-USA GTM products and engine kits. We appreciate the consideration, understanding and your business... past and future. And if you haven't seen our MotoCycle (not) art, click on the BUILDS tab above to see our work at our sister business; GT MotoCycles® -- WE ARE ONLINE ONLY - NO PHONE CALLS MADE OR RECEIVED.
  2. There is ZERO tolerance on personal attacks and ANY HYPERLINKS to a PRODUCT or other competing website(s), this includes personal pages, social media or other Forums. We work very hard to keep info relevant here. First offense is a note, second is a warning, third time will get you banned from the site. Sorry to have to do this, but we don't have the time to chase these. This is NOT a social media platform; It's an ad-free, privately funded website, in small help with user donations. Be sure to see our online STORE link above; GTM product purchases help support the site, or you can upgrade your Forum profile or DONATE via the link above.

Service warning light on only at high speed

Discussion in 'Stelvio Chat & Tech' started by KayJay, Feb 9, 2020.

1. KayJay

KayJay Tuned and Synch'ed

John, thanks to your research I was able to find several switches here in the US that looked to be an exact fit with the injector type connector. I had already ordered the spade type connector from MG Cycle and it should arrive tomorrow. I think the thread size will be correct without the adapter as I believe MG Cycle sells the smaller thread type for other model Guzzis. That said, I found a BMW switch that looks to be an exact replacement. I found these switches for as little as $5 online. I'll check with my mechanic tomorrow and see if he is willing to wait until I receive the BMW switch, or if he wants to go ahead and use the spade type switch along with the terminals you suggested. To confirm the threads are the correct size on the BMW switch I am going to order one and compare the switches. The BMW part number is:
    BMW Engine Oil Pressure Sender Switch Oil Pressure Sensor #12 61 1 730 160
    I'll let everyone know if the threads are correct. They sure look like they are. Hopefully any Stelvio owners who need to replace a switch in the future will be able to search this BMW part number and get an exact replacement switch without the headache of having to modify the wiring.

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  2. KayJay

Well,
    I don't think the BMW switch will work. Everything was the same as the original except the overall size. Looks like i is a couple of millimeters larger so there may not be enough room. Will check and post the results.

3. John Warner

John Warner Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Both the ones I've fitted (to my 2009 & 2012 Stelvios) were a little longer than the originals.
    The one I took off the 2012 was the later Spade Terminal type, with the 20+mm long Adaptor, so a slightly longer one will fit.
    The Switch is oriented parallel to the left Cylinder, so even if it was much longer, it would just run alongside it.
    OilPxSwitch1.jpg
    IMG_20190707_104336.jpg

4. KayJay

Thanks John,
    After taking a few measurements it Looks like the BMW switch I received today is exactly the same switch you used in your 2009 Stelvio. It wasn't the thread length, but the larger diameter that had me worried. At first sight I was concerned because the replacement switch diameter is 24 mm and the original was only 20 or 21mm. Knowing things are tight in there I wasn't sure I would have room to install it. Anyway, after checking, the specs match what you posted:
    LENGTH ~ 41.25 mm

SPANNER SIZE ~ 24

THREAD ~ M12 x 1,5 mm

SWITCH POINT TO ~ 0.5 bar

SWITCH POINT FROM ~ 0.2 bar

THREAD LENGTH ~ 12 mm

It is brown. Looks like the exact same switch you used. I found them all over the internet here in the states.
    BMW Engine Oil Pressure Sender Switch Oil Pressure Sensor #12 61 1 730 160
    tempImage8z72Wy.png tempImageRUMeQB.png tempImagekwVdAb.png tempImage31xAKX.png tempImageYS5CVM.png

5. John Warner

John Warner Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

Yep, identical to mine.
    Seems to be fairly universal for most cars, and many Bikes.