Ridemalibu Motorcycle Rentals & Tours – Los Angeles CA
  1. Ciao Guest - we've been proud to harbor such wonderful Guzzisti camaraderie since 2005, for FREE. Times have changed, and so have the attitudes and expectations of far too many. Starting Jan 1, 2020, we will likely be shifting to a paid to participate format. You will still be able to read for free. This should alleviate all of the negativity that the free social media channels have created. If you are a donor or customer of ours, you're in, just use the Contact tab above if your account is not already promoted, or you can Upgrade your account once signed in. Or the Donate tab above is another option. We look forward to continuing this service to the Guzzi community, but it is not cheap or easy to host and maintain. We wish you the best for the Holidays and in the New Year.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the 1200 8V engine tappet failure but were afraid to ask.

Discussion in 'CARC' started by scottmastrocinque, May 27, 2017.

1. MatadorMkV

MatadorMkV Just got it firing!

Hey guys,
    Was wondering if you could help me out. I'm looking to buy a used, low mileage 2013 Stelvio. The last 5 digits of the VIN are 12514. The information posted below was copied from the OP. I just assumed that the bike I'm looking at would have the roller tappets, but according to the information below, it's before 12596?...or was the OP referring to the serial number on the engine?

Stelvio - AC - After AC12596 - 03/12/2012

2. Raven

Raven Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Contributor

With a 2013 you should have roller tappets. There are some discrepancies but after serial number 12496 and build date of 03/12/2012 it should be fine.

3. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

Yes, discrepancies. that motor # isn't exact. But around that time
    You can always look first to know for sure.

4. MatadorMkV

Yeah...I don't think the guy would take kindly to me removing the valve covers...LOL. How can you find the build date?

5. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

Especially if he has something to hide!

6. GuzziMoto

GuzziMoto GT Reference GT Contributor

I would think removing a valve cover would be fine and considering the situation perfectly reasonable.
    My one fear would be that it is a 2012 titled as a 2013. That tends to happen in other countries more than it does in the USA. But it does happen, especially with a small brand like Guzzi.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  7. MatadorMkV

Would it help if I said the VIN was DM112514 ? Wouldn't the "D" clearly (on a cloudy day) indicate the rollers?

8. scottmastrocinque

scottmastrocinque High Miler GT Famiglia

You need to look at the engine number, stamped on the engine. THERE IS AN EXAMPLE ON PAGE 2 OF THIS FORUM TOPIC, halfway down the page.

My initial inclination is that IT IS NOT a factory roller engine.

"According to Piaggio, motorcycles produced after these specific Serial Numbers / Production Dates, have the implemented design change valve train, and are "roller" engines.

Model - Engine Designation - Last 5 Digits of Serial Number - Date of Production

Griso - A8 - After 13524 - 04/12/2012
    Norge - AA - After 12214 - 04/18/2012"

9. kiwi dave

kiwi dave GT Reference

The letter D before the M (for Mandello) indicates the year of manufacture is 2013. Since this is later than 2012 you should be OK, but the only true test is to whip a valve cover off and have a peek of the followers.

10. MatadorMkV

This just in...

Turns out that what I didn't know, because I'm not sure it's totally clear in this thread...is that, the VIN is NOT the engine number. I'm sure most of you guys knew this, but I didn't.

The ENGINE number of the bike I am interested in is AC013488. Fairly well beyond the AC12596.

So just to be clear, it's NOT the last 5 digits of the VIN...it's the last 5 digits of the engine number.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks guys...learning all the time.

11. scottmastrocinque

You are correct. That is what I wrote and I'm sorry you missed it.

I even listed the individual fields.

Model and Engine Designation and Last 5 Digits of Serial Number and Date of Production. Not the VIN number. The VIN number is NOT the Engine Serial Number.

Model - Engine Designation - Last 5 Digits of Serial Number - Date of Production

Griso - A8 - After 13524 - 04/12/2012
    Norge - AA - After 12214 - 04/18/2012

Also, Adam Davis even posted a picture of the Engine Serial Number in this thread.

Glad you understand now!

So, go get the bike and enjoy the pleasure of owning a Stelvio!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  12. MatadorMkV

Yeah...my post number 50 was actually sent before I had a chance to read yours. It's all good. Road the bike home and just changed the oil and filter today. Used Castrol 10w-60...says it's for BMW M series...and a 551 Hiflo filter. Doing the CARC and gearbox tomorrow. Thanks!

scottmastrocinque likes this.
  13. Ray.

Ray. Just got it firing!

Hi, did you have any luck with this? I’m in a similar position. I’ve spoken with the ‘assistants’ at my nearest dealer and was looked at like I was stupid. I was speaking to desk muppets and not experienced mechanics. Their attitude was that as my bike didn’t have a full dealership service history then what do I expect. Whereas an experienced mechanic would know the issue...

Some pics of mine.

Any information or advice would be great?

cheers,
    Ray.

6CBD7D11-19AC-473F-908E-88820E4C2DFE.jpeg 651DBDFC-0FBA-4524-94DF-E5A21B803EE0.jpeg 60581E25-9FB8-4C51-B7B4-F650F503B31B.jpeg FB17A27C-88B6-4CBC-BE58-1CB74EAB571E.jpeg 91DAD27D-E2A1-44AC-8E8E-E0CD7443E13E.jpeg BE794AF2-1528-4C0E-BEC6-CC0C3B65353D.jpeg A682E87D-1914-429F-BE92-EA7C29647874.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2019
  14. scottmastrocinque

Hello,

I’m sorry about your troubles but I’m not sure what you want.

I stated it pretty clear. Bikes with a complete service history at a dealer were normally covered completely by Piaggio while other bikes were covered for parts.

We are now many years out from the initial sale of these bikes and quite frankly, Piaggio doesn’t have to do a damn thing for free for anybody anymore. I suspect that they will not.

I gather that your best bet would be to buy the kit and install it. Fix this problem and the bike is virtually bulletproof after this repair. Then you can ride the hell out of it for many thousands of miles.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    GT-Rx®, Adam Davis and john zibell like this.
  15. Adam Davis

Adam Davis Cruisin' Guzzisti GT Famiglia

It really is worth it. It's not an easy job according to manual but once the bugs are out they stay out. It's a matter of personal preference regarding to performance mods. But outside of maintenance per manual my bike is expected to be a six figure milage machine. And I am approaching 50 years of life I would like to pass it down to my son some day. After all the big block production is over in Mandello.

16. Ray.

Ray. Just got it firing!

Ok. Many thanks.

17. V700Steve

V700Steve High Miler GT Contributor

Wow, I just now looked at those pics. Ray, get a new cam cap, don't use that busted one. I'd also look for the piece missing. That wear all looks normal for needing rollers. If you took those off, you cam put new stuff on. Easey peasey.

john zibell and Bill Hagan like this.